A persons identity, Amin Maalouf wrote as he contemplated what he so poetically called the genes of the soul, is like a pattern drawn on a tightly stretched parchment. Touch just one part of it, just one allegiance, and the whole person will react, the whole drum will sound. And yet we are increasingly pressured to parcel ourselves out in various social contexts, lacerating the parchment of our identity in the process. As Courtney Martin observed in her insightful On Being conversation with Parker Palmer and Krista Tippett, Its never been more asked of us to show up as only slices of ourselves in different places. Today, as Whitmans multitudes no longer compose an inner wholeness but are being wrested out of us fragment by fragment, what does it really mean to be a person? And how many types of personhood do we each contain?
- 2 days ago - What is Your Favorite Local Salon? - 3 Comments
- 3 days ago - Warm Winter Coats Distributed to 155 Harford County Children in Need - 0 Comment
- 4 days ago - Harford County Government Launches “HarCo Mobile” App - 0 Comment
- 4 days ago - Harford County Executive Barry Glassman Installed as Second Vice President on County Association’s Board of Directors - 0 Comment
- 6 days ago - Dr. Russell W. Moy Named Harford County Health Officer - 0 Comment