One hundred and fifty Harford County government employees participated in the fourth annual Day of Service initiative created by County Executive Barry Glassman in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. From January through April of this year employees gave nearly 800 hours of volunteer service to local nonprofits in partnership with United Way of Central Maryland. The county program is based on the national day of service inspired by the life and spirit of Dr. King.
“Dr. King said, ‘Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve,’” County Executive Glassman said. “I would like to thank our county employees for their service, first as professionals in county government and also as volunteers to help strengthen our families and communities in Harford County.”
• Linked 450 people experiencing homelessness with resources at Project Homeless Connect;
• Constructed a new home for a family in need with Habitat for Humanity Susquehanna;
• Provided a memorable prom night for individuals with special needs at Tim Tebow’s Night to Shine;
• Repaired fences and assisted with a cage sale for the Harford County Humane Society and the 3,500 animals in their care;
• Helped with farm clean-up for Chesapeake Therapeutic Riding, which provides therapy to over 100 children and veterans annually;
• Planted 140 trees at Harford Community College;
• Assembled 425 comfort kits for individuals experiencing homelessness, or at risk for homelessness;
• Made 450 bagged lunches for youth at the Boys and Girls Clubs;
• Provided administrative support for The Homecoming Project, a recovery house for women;
• Donated and assembled 50 backpacks for elementary school students.
“We are thrilled that employee participation increased by 36%,” Amber Shrodes, director of Harford County Community Services, said. “With their support and United Way’s partnership we were able to serve even more families then in previous years.”
More information about volunteer opportunities in Harford County is available on the county government website at www.harfordcountymd.gov/services.