Proceeds from amateur homerun derby at Ripken Stadium will benefit Harford Family House.
On Wednesday July 20th, 2016, Harford Family House hosted the eighth annual Harford Mutual Insurance Company Home Runs for the Homeless fundraiser at Ripken Stadium. The event raised over $21,000 to support homeless families in Harford County.
Eighty-four batters representing 21 different teams stepped up to the plate in the amateur home run derby, getting 15 swings each to try and hit a home run. Participants also had the opportunity to purchase five “extra” swings. Each team paid $1,000 to take part, which also gave each team member a full day at the ballpark with the opportunity to change in the locker room, take batting practice in the batting cage, sit in the dugout, and hear play-by-play commentary on each at bat.
Aberdeen Mayor Patrick McGrady threw the opening pitch and Pete Gilbert (From WBAL TV 11), the Emcee, provided the opening remarks at the post-derby award ceremony held in the club level of Ripken Stadium. We would also like to thank Rouse & Company for participating as a team this year. In addition, other local celebrities on hand to cheer for the teams included Miss Appalachia 2016, Allison Redman, and an appearance by Al Bumbry and Rick Krivida from the Baltimore Orioles.
The overall champion of the home run derby was new this year from Digital Innovations called Team JHU earning a total 2,035 points. Other awards presented included:
- The Silver Slugger Award for the highest point individual for the day was earned by Chris Tolliver, a member of the Harford County Sheriff’s Department. He earned a total of 880 pts.
- Deputry Mark Logsdon Award was a new award this year honoring our Harford County Fallen Heroe. Chris Tolliver was also the winner of this award for the highest points achieved by an officer in this event.
- Corporate Champion Award, reserved for teams comprised of players that currently work for the sponsoring company, went to Burris Logistics.
- The Officer’s Cup Award goes to the team of law enforcement professionals who log the most points, and this year it went to Harford County Sheriff’s Department team for earning 1,865 points.
- The female slugger with the most points was Lynette Charles (ABC 2 Weather). Lynette was part of the Team Rouse & Company and won the Georgia Peach Award.
- The Golden Arm Pitching Contest was won by Steve Skrivanek, playing for Team Rite Aid.
Thank you again to all participants in the 2016 Homeruns for the Homeless.
Other fundraising activities during the day included a raffle for a Citizen’s men’s sports watch donated by Saxon’s Diamond Centers and an IPad Mini donated by Gio Technologies.
Harford Family House Executive Director Robin Tomechko says, “We are so very grateful for all who came to spend the day with us to help out Harford Family House and such a great cause. I hope each team member enjoyed the opportunity to play ball on a big field, but the big winners here are really the homeless families of Harford County who will be helped by this event. It costs just $25 a day to provide temporary shelter for a homeless family, so the funds raised at Homeruns for the Homeless mean 874 nights of housing are now possible.”
Tomechko adds, “I’d also like to thank our Event Sponsor, Harford Mutual Insurance Company, as well as our other sponsors for making this year’s event possible.” Other sponsors included:
- Homerun Sponsor: The Compass Group/HMS Warranty
- Jersey Sponsor: Chesapeake Employers
- Hit the Mitt Sponsor: Jones Junction
- Triple Sponsors: Bob’s Discount Furniture, Harford Bank, Fulton Mortgage Company, Key Title, and McDonalds
- 2nd Chance Swings Sponsor: BSC Bel Air Auto Auction
- Hors D’oeuvres Sponsor: Kristin Rita Strouse Foundation
- Trophy Sponsors: Express Employment Professionals and Kelly & Associates
- Banner Sponsors: Harford Financial Group, Ferrell Fuel, APGFCU, Frito Lay, The Kelly Group, and Law Office of Hyman & Marindin.
- Target Sponsors: Jones Junction, Express Employment Professionals, Bank of America, Homeowners Real Estate, The Greene Turtle, and Susquehanna Spine
- Sign Sponsor: Signs by Tomorrow-Aberdeen
About Harford Family House (http://www.harfordfamilyhouse.org/)
Harford Family House is the largest provider of transitional housing for homeless families with children in Harford County. Other programs include Emergency Shelter for families and HUD Supportive Housing for homeless families where one family member has a disability. Clients are provided with a fully furnished apartment or house and receive case management services and referrals to partner agencies to move them from homelessness and hopelessness to hope and independence.