At 5:45 a.m., on a Friday morning, a group of about 20 homeless guys warmed up in a parking lot in East Harlem. In a circle, they did jumping jacks, twisted their torsos and touched their toes, and then huddled up, they chanted the Serenity Prayer (“God give me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change…”) and took off running. They ran with Back On My Feet, a program started by social entrepreneur Anne Mahlum, that uses “running to help the homeless get their lives back on track. In addition to connecting participants with housing and jobs, Back On My Feet was founded on the notion that running can change a person’s self-image…and provides an outlet for pent-up emotions,” — it has made awe-inspiring tangible changes in the lives of those participating.
- 19 hours ago - Harford County Reunites Family of Bel Air Toddler with Life-Saving County Employees - 0 Comment
- 2 days ago - Harford County Public Schools Receives Grant to Continue Full-day Prekindergarten at Three Elementary Schools - 0 Comment
- 2 days ago - Harford Chamber Hosts 41st Military Appreciation Luncheon - 0 Comment
- 2 days ago - HEALTH DEPARTMENT OFFERS NO-COST HIV TESTING ON JUNE 27th IN OBSERVANCE OF 2018 NATIONAL HIV TESTING DAY - 0 Comment
- 2 days ago - Dunlop Launches Its Latest Footwear Innovation The Chesapeake General Use PVC Boot - 0 Comment