Crowdfunding’s Latest Effort: Preventing Youth Sports Injuries (283)
(NewsUSA) – Want to really do something to keep kids from being hurt playing sports?
Athletic TIPS (Towards Injury Prevention in Sports) has teamed up with GlobalGiving — the largest global crowdfunding site for nonprofits — to help advance one of its key goals: hosting community workshops across the country to better educate young athletes, their parents and advisors on ways to foster “a safer experience” for everyone playing sports at the kindergarten through college levels.
The workshops focus on:
* Dehydration and heat-related conditions
* Musculosketal injuries
Sports-related injuries have been recognized as “a silent epidemic” among the nation’s youth — accounting for nearly 8,000 emergency room visits daily. The recent launch of the not-for-profit Athletic TIPS program — supported by everyone from health care professionals to athletic directors to retired New York Giants legend Michael Strahan — was a direct response to those dire numbers.
“GlobalGiving allows us to raise awareness regarding the urgency for appropriate sports-related education,” said Sherry McAllister, DC, executive vice president of the Foundation for Chiropractic Progress, a program sponsor.
The first workshop will take place this spring in San Jose, California, in partnership with Palmer College of Chiropractic. Others are being planned for Dallas, Boston, Atlanta and New Jersey.
Anyone can donate through GlobalGiving.org, though McAllister particularly encouraged doctors of chiropractic to step up since their extensive expertise makes them part of the solution. As for the workshops, health care professionals, athletes, parents and coaches can request one in their area by visiting TIPS4Sports.org. Athletic TIPS will then work with them on the planning and fundraising, as well as potentially putting them in touch with pro athletes to heighten interest.
- 2 days ago - Vote for Your Favorite Local Annual Event - 0 Comment
- 3 days ago - Harford County Retains Triple-A Bond Ratings - 0 Comment
- 4 days ago - Harford County’s Tourism Funding Program Accepting Applications for FY 2019 - 0 Comment
- 4 days ago - Harford County Earns 29th Consecutive Distinguished Budget Presentation Award from Government Finance Officers Association - 0 Comment
- 6 days ago - Picture of the Week for January 15, 2018 - 0 Comment